Chuck was born in 1947 in Illinois. When he was 11 his family moved to Tucson for health reasons. Chuck is a product of the Tucson Public Schools, which included Duffy, Townsend, and a brand new Rincon High on the afternoon shift (12:15 pm to 6:30 pm). Sahuaro’s legendary Basketball Coach Dick McConnell taught his 5:30 p.m. class. After being influenced so strongly by wonderful, caring and stimulating teachers, he decided to become a teacher and counselor. Off to the University of Arizona he went where he majored in secondary education with a major in geography and a minor in Spanish. After graduation Chuck continued his education working toward his Masters in Guidance and Counseling. He also started his teaching career as a substitute teacher. Within two months he had a full time position at Fickett Junior High teaching World Cultures and World Geography. The next year he taught Spanish.
His career included: Fickett Junior High; Townsend Junior High (counseling, teaching, and a three-sport coach); Sahuaro High (counselor, coach); Rincon High (counselor); University High (teacher of Professional Internships at Santa Rita, Catalina, and Rincon; Tucson High Magnet School (Department Chairperson); Sahuaro High (Assistant Principal for Student Activities); Tucson High Magnet School (Acting Principal, Assistant Principal for Student Activities); Marana High (Associate Principal); Sahuaro High (Assistant Principal for Student Activities); Tucson Accelerated High School (counselor and teacher).
Chuck has been married to his wife Sharron for 23 years. They have three children: Matt is 20, a junior at Indiana University in Bloomington; Marisa is 18, a freshman at Indiana; and Marlena is 13, in the eighth grade at Cross Middle School.
Chuck describes his feelings about Sahuaro as ‘awesome’. ”As it moves into its 35 years of existence, it truly signifies excellence. The community, parents, students, teachers and staff are superb. With three tours of duty spanning 12 of my 35 years in education, I have gained lifelong friends, remembrances and memories. I have been, indeed, blessed to have worked at Sahuaro in four different decades and have fully experienced the dream of Hank Egbert, Harry Johnson, Dr. Bennie Linkhart, Jane Stratman and Bill Ismay. I am indeed honored to be inducted into the Cougar Hall of Fame with these three outstanding individuals. Included (in this year’s class) are two of my former students who were part of my first peer-counseling program in Tucson, Mark Mistler and Jordan Simon. Thank you very much.”
Honors and Achievements
- 1976 American School Counselor’s Counselor of the Year.
- 1997 Arizona North Central Association inductee into The Circle of Excellence for service to Arizona High Schools. He is completing his last phase as chairperson evaluation of Seton Catholic High School in Chandler. This is his final school valuation in Arizona. He has evaluated a total of 15 schools.
- Lifetime member of the National Education Association
- Member of Arizona School Administrators Association
- Lifetime recipient of the Arizona Interscholastic Association Award for 25 years or more service to Arizona Member youth.
- Member of Arizona Athletic Administration Association
- 2002 SA Southern Region Service Award in recognition of years spent in dedication to student-athletes.